The Spring Industry/Career Expo was held on Thursday, February 28th. The Daytona Beach Career Services Office hosted 98 companies and over 300 recruiters exhibiting. Approximately 1,520 students, alumni, and guests attended the event. Over 170 interviews were conducted during the week of the Career Expo with 15 employers.
The Daytona Beach Career Services Office asked employers attending the Daytona Beach Industry/Career Expo to provide us with specific advice that we could share with students and alumni as well as compliments, comments, or suggestions. Below are some of the insights they were happy to share.
- Very professional and prepared- Air Transport International
- Do research on the companies you are coming to speak with prior to the event so the conversation can flow- Constant Aviation
- Well prepared for fair- Contour Aviation
- Loved to see freshmen coming for advice on resumes- Delta Air Lines
- Students have excellent interview/communication skills- E-One
- List your coursework related to your major on your resume- Envoy Air
- Candidates were very well prepared- Lockheed Martin
- Some candidates need to work on their skills to share their experience; in addition it would be easier for us as an employer if candidates had an idea of the area they would like to work in- Lufthansa Technik
- A lot of students don’t do their research. They hand you a resume and ask where they fit. Students would get more out of the career fair if they target where they want to talk and specific positions they want to apply for- Mitsubishi Aircraft
- Professional appearance does not necessarily mean a suit, but looking polished, clean, and wrinkle free. It is helpful to have a brief elevator speech about yourself prepared- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Encourage students to research company prior to the event- NAVAIR
- Prefer that students show that they can communicate rather than memorize an elevator speech, but great students overall- Northrop Grumman
- Always impressed with the caliber of attendees I meet at Embry-Riddle- Port Authority of NY and NJ
- Impressive skills and resumes- ProActive Technologies, Inc.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We want you to have all of the information you need, and to be able to ease all of your concerns- Space and Rocket Center
- The candidates were well dressed and professional. Additionally, they turned in well written resumes- Weintraus, Inc.
- Candidates were very well spoken, highly motivated, and professionally dressed- Wencor Group