• Set yourself a goal of doing one transition-related activity each week (research, speak with a recruiter/headhunter, attend a class, read a book, go to a job fair, etc.).
  • Assess your job skills and interests. Take an interest inventory. Contact your bases education or transition office for resources.
  • Begin researching the job market. Develop a career plan, including a list of possible employers in your career field.
  • Start attending job fairs to network and do research.
  • If you need additional education, vocational training, or certification to compete in the job market, explore your options for continuing education.
  • With the assistance of your local transition office and Embry-Riddle Career Services, start developing a resume and upload it to Handshake.

180 DAYS

  • Schedule your pre-separation counseling appointment with command career counselor/planner. DD Form 2648 is required by law to be completed.
  • Develop your Individual Transition Plan obtain assistance with it from your transition office or career counselor.
  • Review and make copies of your personnel and medical records.
  • Start posting resumes to veteran, transitioning, and civilian career websites to obtain feedback. Make contact with employers.
  • Attend job fairs for the purpose of connecting with potential employers.
  • Attend TAP class and actively participate.

150 DAYS

  • Seek help if the stress of your transition to civilian life becomes too much to handle.
  • Research specific job possibilities, job markets, and the economic conditions in the area you want to live.
  • Establish a financial plan to make ends meet during your transition.

120 DAYS

  • Receive your Verification of Military Experience and Training (DD Form 2586) document.
  • If you are considering federal employment, use your transition office services to write a Federal resume – also check out the Federal Employment Resources on the Career Services website.
  • Explore special federal programs and hiring opportunities for veterans.
  • Utilize your network anyone you know, or meet could be in a position to help you with your job search!
  • Visit your installations Relocation Assistance Program office to learn about relocation options, entitlements, and assistance.
  • If you decide to go back to school after separation, take an academic entrance exam, college admission test, or challenge exam. This service is free to active duty personnel.
  • Start actively applying for jobs and interviewing. If you need practice interviewing, contact Career Services for a mock interview.
  • Follow-up with employers to ensure that your resume arrived and to determine the company’s timeline for reviewing resumes, interviewing candidates, and making decisions.


  • Start a subscription service to a major newspaper in the area to which you plan to move. Begin replying to job listings you are interested in. The best resource, however, is the Internet, so make sure it remains an integral part of your job search.
  • Check with your Local Employment Veterans Representative for job opportunities.
  • Start assembling a wardrobe for interviewing.
  • Contact several Military to Corporate America recruiting firms to assist you in your job search. Examples include Cameron-Brooks,
  • The Lucas Group, and Corporate Gray Online, but there are many others.
  • Maintain contact with the Embry-Riddle Career Services Office. Make sure your resume is current.


  • Continue to send out your resume. Include the date you plan to move to the area in your cover letter (if applicable).
  • Touch base with the ERAU Career Services Office.


  • Follow up with networking contacts.
  • Visit the area to which you plan to move. Attend job interviews and fairs there.
  • If you are unemployed, you may qualify for unemployment compensation once you are a civilian. See your local state employment office for eligibility and to learn how to apply.


Source: GI Jobs September 2004 issue